DATA UPDATE 2
Lead:
The age group the most likely to be a victim of sexual assault in Canada in 2022 is 12-17 years old at a rate of 417.89, which is almost double the the second highest group of 18-24 years old, according to Statistics Canada.
Excel Workbook link and eexplination:
https://kpuemp-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/erika_paskie_student_kpu_ca/EYI2Y_YWTLxJjlw1pgY5WboBftZdfqVHAaZp8QeIlkhOkg?e=4FX57g
The most noteworthy finding in my data is that the most likely age group to fall victim of sexual assault in 2022 is 12-17 years old. The 12-17 years old age group is victim to sexual assault at a rate of 417.89, while the group below, 18-24 years old falls victim to sexual assault at a rate of 221.1. This shows that youth are almost twice as likely to fall victim of sexual assault than young adults are. Each age group shows a sharp decline with the least likely age group being 65 years and older. This age group sits at a rate of 9.82, meaning that ages 12-17 are over 46 times more likely to be sexually assaulted than the lowest affected age group that is an adult. It is shocking because 12-17 year olds are children and the most likely to be exually assaulted, while all other adult ages are far less likely. My workbook contains the raw data called "full data for data update" and the slice called "data update 2". For some reason, even when I have changed the names as requested in the handout to "raw data" and "slice", when I get the link for the work book the names revert back. .
Original data set link
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=3510004901
Hi Erika, nice job! Although it would be nice to access the dataset with a link, I really appreciated how detailed your explanation was, it definitely gave me a better understanding of the chosen data set. Overall, great job!
ReplyDeleteHey Erika, very interesting data update. I like your explanation of the data and it is very specific as you included the rate in which the sexual assault occurs. Overall, great job!
ReplyDeleteHey Erika, you have make a presentation that has raised awareness of the shocking rates of sexual assault among Canadian youth, highlighting the severity and urgency of the issue in this age group. I appreciate that your lead is very powerful and immediately paints a picture of the concerning situation, with comparisons between age groups adding depth to the analysis. Additionally, the slice you made use the data per 100,000 population, which allows for better comparability and helps to comprehend the gravity of the data. My suggestion is that you could break each part into sections and insert data links to improve the reading experience.
ReplyDeleteHi Erika, great update! I do think your lead could be a little bit shorter, something like "People between the ages of 12-17 are two times more likely to experience sexual assault than people between the age of 18-24, according to Statistics Canada." Overall, good job!
ReplyDeleteHi Erica, this is a great data update. The description in your data is very detailed. Using ratios instead of numbers shows your content more clearly. Overall, very good work.
ReplyDeleteFormatting your blog post for increased structure and readability will really help us dive into your data and explanation better. Hyperlinking your Workbook and original StatsCan data at the bottom of your post, spellchecking are simple fixes that will level up your blog post. In your workbook, renaming the two sheets to "raw data" and "slice" will also help increase reader usability.
ReplyDeleteYour understanding of the data is great, and I think clarification about what the "value" in your slice and the rates you refer to in your blog post mean, will help strengthen your analysis and explanation. For example when you state "rate of 9.82 (seniors), or 417.89 (teens)" may be better stated as a percentage out of 100 so that we can draw a true comparison instead of comparing total values.
Hey Erika, great choice in data set and lead in sentence for it. The layout of this blog could be better (spacing wise) but you got everything that caught your interest in it, very nice usage of ratios.
ReplyDeleteHi Erica, this is a very important topic. I think it would be easier to go through your post with better formatting and editing. Apart from that, I like your choice of data and a very clear explanation of it.
ReplyDeleteHi Erika, your blog post seems a bit cluttered and chaotic due to just pasting links directly into the report. I believe creating hyperlinks could significantly improve the reader's experience. However, I really appreciate your lead and the way you've compared each group. It provides a startling insight into how close sexual assault is among teenagers in Canada. Great work!
ReplyDeleteHi Erika, you've done a good job of finding some interesting points in your dataset. Funny enough, I've chosen the same dataset! I think in the future, instead of doing victims rates, you should do what percentage of all sexual assaults fall into that age group so it's easier to understand. Good job!
ReplyDelete