Data Update 1
1. What dataset will you use for your final report? (title of your dataset, include a link to it and claim it at the URL above).
I will be using that data set Victims of police-reported violent crime and traffic violations causing bodily harm or death, by age of victim and type of violation. I found this data set on Statistics Canada.
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=3510004901
2. Describe the dataset. What kind of data does it contain?
The data set studies violent crimes committed in Canada by age group of victims from 2019 to 2022. It was released on november 21, 2023. It contains the rate per 100,000 of the population data. The violations included are violations causing death and attempted murder, assaults, sexual assault, sexual assault against children, other violent crimes, and criminal code traffic violations causing death or bodily harm. The age range of this data set includes all ages, starting with 11 years and younger, and 65 years and older. The data was obtained from an active annual survey called The Uniform Crime Reporting Survey.
3. Is there anything about your data that you don’t understand? (i.e. what a column heading means). How will you find this out?
At this point, I do not have any uncertainties about my data. It is very straight forward.
4. What are some questions you hope to answer with your data? List at least three. (you don’t need the answers at this point).
Which age group is the most likely to be a victim of what crime?
Which violent crimes are increasing at the highest annual rate, and in what age group?
Which violent crimes are decreasing at the highest annual rate, and in what age group?
Hi Erica, I like the data you have chosen! It would be really interesting to look at which violent crimes are increasing at the highest rate and which group is most likely to be a victim. I also like how the data is divided into different violations for each age group.
ReplyDeleteI think the dataset/ focus of your assignment is really interesting, and you have done a solid job describing the dataset for your readers. However, I did struggle to read your content because of how you have it formatted. I think it would quite a bit more reader friendly if you had each question as separate paragraphs, and have your dataset hyperlinked to open in a new window for ease of use for your readers.
ReplyDeleteHi Erika. The questions you've listed are relevant and insightful. They address key aspects of the dataset, such as demographic patterns in victimization and trends in different types of violent crimes over time.It's good to hear that you currently don't have any uncertainties about the dataset. However, it is important to remain open to seeking clarification.
ReplyDeleteHey Erika, you have make a data update on the subject of serious violent crimes. I appreciate your research narrowing down to crime data from 2019 to 2022, which gives a better understanding of serious crime trends and social issues in various regions of Canada. Moreover, you have identified the types of serious crimes in the data. My suggestion, similar to Julie's, is to divide the issues into paragraphs, which would provide a better reading experience for your readers.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting topic! I'm interested to see the end result of this dataset because there's a lot of really great information. I struggled a bit with reading the update because of the formatting, and also including links directly to the website would be great. Overall, great work!
ReplyDelete