Data visualization
The Graph I have chosen for my data visualization is a map graph of the United States of America, showing the life expectancy by state as of 2018. At the top right corner we can see the arrow pointing to the graph's legend, with the lowest life expectancy starting at 74.4 years old at the lightest shade blue. The oldest life expectancy is 81 years old, at the darkest shade of blue. We can gather that the age between these two will vary by the shade of blue. I would like to start by critiquing this map by saying that the choice of graph was poorly chosen. I see where the creator wanted to use a map because we are looking at different states, but there is no way to see the exact age that is in each state, it is purely an estimate. The shades of blue only give us an idea of what is higher or lower, but there can be no way to tell what the average ages of each state are. When we look at Washington and Organ, they are so similar in color that it is hard to say if they are the same or slightly different. This map would have been much better as a bar graph. As a bar graph, we would easily be able to distinguish each state, and immediately see the exact age of each state's life span. The only thing that is clear about this graph is the states shown on the map. A bar graph with different states having contrasting colors side by side, not in the same color family, would be the most efficient way to see the states life span side by side.

Hi Erika, good analysis! I totally agree with you that this dataset would've been represented better as a bar graph than a map since it's hard to differentiate the data. I really enjoyed how straightforward your analysis was. Overall, great job:)
ReplyDeleteHey Erika, you've make a very concise analysis of the data visualization on expected life expectancy in the United States. I appreciate that you pointed out the shortcomings of the chart, which only has an approximate estimate of the data, lacking actual numbers making it difficult for readers to obtain effective information. I also very much agree with you that some similarly colored states lead to a blurred data visualization. My suggestion would be that you could use boxes to mark annotations, making it easier for readers to understand the information you wish to convey when reading your analysis.
ReplyDeleteHey Erika, that was a great analysis and very informative. I agree with your take on how the graph was a poor choice as it was hard to differentiate the ages between the states you mentioned. Other than a few spelling errors, I thought your analysis was very good. Great job!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhile using a map chart is a visually appealing idea when discussing an entire nation, you correctly point out the limitations of the map in conveying precise data, such as the difficulty in discerning exact ages for each state and the challenges of comparing similar shades of blue. Good work!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you (and our classmates), using a geographical map to present the data wasn't the best choice, so I think your analysis on that point is quite strong. Good Job! I think that your blog post could be tweaked so it presents better if you used a more formal annotation style. Breaking up your blog post into 2-3 paragraphs, and spellchecking before publishing would make your post even stronger.
ReplyDelete